Thursday, July 06, 2006

Success University, Malaysian CEO and Small Talk

Amongst the course that I really like from Success University is about small talk and striking a conversation to start a relationship.

On this topic, there are two instructors from Success University whom I’ve listen to many times. Bob Burg, he teaches a method that is more suitable for formal functions, when you're talking to the captain of industries, the community leaders or people who tend to value themselves highly and I feel that, Debra Fine techniques is more relax and can be used with anybody.

Both of them tell how to start a conversation and the techniques to maintain it going on.

So, last Sunday's evening on 2nd July 2006, I initiated a small talk with a company's CEO and his father.

He heads one of the biggest organisation in Malaysia which has a yearly revenue of more than RM1billion.

From the small talk I got to know the information below;
- How many siblings he has
- Among his siblings, which number he is
- He watched England vs Portugal match earlier that morning but didn't continue to watch Brazil against France because of sleepiness.
- Where he lives
- What car he drives
- His parents are still alive
- Why did he came to that place

He also asked why I came to that place, where do I live and did I watch the football/soccer games early that morning.

And before parting he shook my hand and said, “See you."

Well, when those words came from someone like him it felt nice, although I realised it is a good etiquette and the probability is that he was trained to say it to anyone.

See, we didn't touch on golf, expensive indulgence or his company's business. Only life simple things.

My vote is that what Bob Burg and Debra Fine teach worked, it really, really worked.

So, Success University, a small success from your lessons.

Categories: , ,

4 Comments:

At July 07, 2006 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! It's nice to find fellow Success University people online! Congratulations meeting with the CEO and his father ... sounds like an interesting experience!

 
At July 07, 2006 4:05 PM, Blogger Z said...

Hi,

Justin, yes, it is an interesting experience. When, things like this happened, I felt its worth the monthly fees paid to Success University.

 
At July 09, 2006 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, it's always nice to hear about a good experience involving something I have to do with. :)

 
At July 09, 2006 5:54 PM, Blogger Z said...

Hope, we all come across more good experiences in our search for excellence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home